Procedures To Enter Malaysia

The procedures below will give international students like YOU a more detailed explanation about visa, student pass and other procedures in order to enter and stay in Malaysia for study purposes:​

I. To apply for a visa to enter Malaysia

A visa is required but the procedure is simple. You DO NOT need to apply directly for the visa from the Malaysian Missions in your country in order to enter Malaysia, with the exception of Chinese students from The Peoples Republic of China. The visa will be issued to you upon your arrival in Malaysia at the immigration check point.

II. To apply for a student pass for the pursuit of studies in Malaysia

Applications will be submitted by the educational institutions to the Director of Pass & Permit Division, Malaysia Immigration Department. Students DO NOT need to apply directly to the Immigration Department under this procedure. The prospective students will be informed of their application status by the Immigration Department in Malaysia through their educational institutions within 14 days of the application, irrespective of whether it has been successful or not.
Therefore, students are not required to apply for a visa/student pass from the Malaysian Embassy/consulate office abroad before proceeding to Malaysia, except for students from The Peoples Republic of China (PRC). The PRCs nationals are required to obtain their Entry Visas from the Malaysian Embassy in Beijing, Guangzhou or Shanghai prior to their entry to Malaysia.​

III. Arriving in Malaysia – at the Malaysia immigration check point

Upon arrival at the airport in Malaysia, students have to show their Student Pass approval letter at the immigration check point. A Special Pass will be issued to refer the student to the respective State Immigration Department for issuance of the Student Pass. A visa will also be issued to the student at the entry point in the form of an endorsement on the students valid national Passport.

1.Nationals from the Peoples Republic of China (PRC) and the Commonwealth Independent States (CIS) who wish to study in public educational institutions are required to obtain prior consent from the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia​

2.Nationals from PRC are required to obtain Entry Visa prior to their entry into Malaysia

IV. Issuance of student pass to students

​ Students will be issued a Special Pass valid for 14 days at the Immigration check point. Within two weeks of their arrival, UKM is required to submit the students’ passports to the State Immigration Department to enable Student Pass stickers to be affixed. The fee for a Student Pass is RM60.00 a year (or part of a year) while a visa fee depending on the countries the students come from.

Print Email